Back to school special : how to organize well your workspace?
1 September 2015
With the new school year coming up and many papers already starting to pile up, here are 7 simple ways to organize your workspace and improve its functioning!
1. Establishing work “ZONES” by deciding what type of activity that will happen in each area. You’ll probably have a main workspace (most likely your desk), a reference area (filing cabinet, shelves, etc.) and a supply area (closet, shelves or drawers). Place the appropriate equipment and supplies in the proper area as much as possible.
2. Whether it’s a pinboard or a blackboard, keep it well in sight to keep memos or lists of tasks for the day.
3. Have a calendar within reach and make sure you keep it updated. Do not hesitate to add color and post-its for better organization. No more delays and missed appointments!
4. As soon as a file is done, make sure to archive it whether it’s in a pretty magazine rack or in a filing cabinet. Psst: put them in alphabetical order, it will be easier to spot it if you look for it in 6 months 😉
5. Organize your desk inside and out. Organize the interior of your drawers and give a proper place for each item. This will help you find things more easily and efficiently.
6. Label, label, label!! Do not hesitate to identify your boxes, filing cabinets and drawers with small tags that will allow you, once again, to find your items and/or your folders easily.
7. Whether it’s the stapler, your favourite marker or the scotch tape, keep close to you the items you use most often by sorting them out in SMALL COMPARTMENTS.